Key Takeaways:
- Mouldy and liquefied mince was served to students at Haeata Community Campus in Christchurch as part of the Government’s free lunch programme.
- A New Zealand Food Safety investigation found that the affected meals had likely been left out for days without refrigeration before being re-served alongside fresh meals.
- The investigation concluded that the meals were probably delivered the previous Thursday and remained at the school without refrigeration until they were accidentally re-served on Monday.
- The school’s principal, Peggy Burrows, initially reported that no food had been left on the premises, but later acknowledged that some students had eaten the contaminated meals.
- Associate Education Minister David Seymour welcomed the findings of the investigation and criticized the school’s principal for attempting to politicize the incident.
Introduction to the Incident
The incident at Haeata Community Campus in Christchurch, where mouldy and liquefied mince was served to students, has raised concerns about food safety and the management of the Government’s free lunch programme. According to a New Zealand Food Safety investigation, the affected meals had likely been left out for days without refrigeration before being re-served alongside fresh meals. This has led to a public outcry and a review of the procedures in place to ensure the safety and quality of food served to students.
Investigation Findings
The New Zealand Food Safety investigation into the incident concluded that the affected meals had probably been delivered the previous Thursday and remained at the school without refrigeration until they were accidentally re-served on Monday. This would explain the deterioration of the meals, which were found to be mouldy and liquefied. The investigation found that nine cambro boxes of the savoury mince and potatoes meals were delivered to Haeata Community Campus on Thursday, November 27, but only eight were returned to the provider. It is believed that one cambro box was left at the school and sat at ambient temperatures since that date.
School Response
The school’s principal, Peggy Burrows, initially reported that no food had been left on the premises, but later acknowledged that some students had eaten the contaminated meals. Burrows described the incident as a "horrific sight" and said that the school was pleased to report that attendance rates had not been adversely affected after the incident. However, Burrows’ response to the incident has been criticized by Associate Education Minister David Seymour, who accused her of attempting to politicize the incident and create a controversy to smear others.
Government Response
Associate Education Minister David Seymour welcomed the findings of the investigation and criticized the school’s principal for her response to the incident. Seymour said that the "real tragedy" was for Haeata Community Campus’ students, who had been affected by the incident. He also stated that the school’s principal had found time for endless media interviews, attempting to politicize a mistake made by her school, rather than focusing on the students’ learning and wellbeing. Seymour’s comments reflect the government’s commitment to ensuring the safety and quality of food served to students, and the need for schools to take responsibility for their actions.
Conclusion
The incident at Haeata Community Campus highlights the importance of food safety and the need for schools to ensure that meals are handled and stored properly. The investigation’s findings suggest that the affected meals had been left out for days without refrigeration, which is unacceptable and poses a risk to the health and wellbeing of students. The government’s response to the incident reflects its commitment to ensuring the safety and quality of food served to students, and the need for schools to take responsibility for their actions. As the investigation continues, it is essential that schools and food providers take steps to prevent similar incidents from occurring in the future.


