Key Takeaways
- President Trump postponed a planned strike on Iran after Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE urged him to allow negotiations to continue.
- The strike has been delayed only temporarily; U.S. forces remain ready to launch a full‑scale assault on short notice if talks fail.
- Iran has submitted a new 14‑paragraph peace proposal to the United States, transmitted through Pakistan, though no details have been released.
- A cease‑fire between the U.S., Israel, and Iran has been in place since April 8, but the Strait of Hormuz remains effectively closed and the truce is described as being on “life support.”
- The ongoing conflict has eroded Trump’s approval rating, which fell to 37 % in a recent New York Times poll, with a majority of Americans viewing the war as a mistake.
- Trump insists any eventual deal must include a guarantee that Iran will not pursue nuclear weapons, and he remains confident that Tehran wants to reach an agreement.
- A Situation Room meeting on Tuesday will review military options as the administration weighs diplomacy against the threat of renewed force.
Trump Postpones Planned Iran Strike Following Gulf Leaders’ Request
President Donald Trump announced on Truth Social that an attack on Iran, which had been “scheduled for tomorrow,” has been postponed. He said the delay came at the explicit request of the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates, who asked him to hold off because “serious negotiations are now taking place.” Trump framed the request as a sign of respect for what he called “Great Leaders and Allies,” expressing confidence that a deal would ultimately be reached.
Details of the Postponement and Conditions for Future Action
While agreeing to delay the strike, Trump emphasized that the pause is only temporary. He instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Daniel Caine, and the broader U.S. military to stand ready to execute a “full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice” should an acceptable agreement not materialize. At a subsequent press conference, Trump clarified that the Gulf leaders had asked for a postponement of “two or three days,” describing the development as “very positive” but cautioning that its ultimate impact remained uncertain.
Iran’s New Peace Proposal Delivered via Pakistan
In parallel with the U.S. postponement, Iranian media reported that Tehran had submitted a new peace proposal to the United States. The proposal, described as consisting of “14 paragraphs,” was conveyed through Pakistan, with Iran’s Tasnim news agency confirming the transmission. Iranian foreign‑ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei told Reuters that Iran’s views had been “conveyed to the American side through Pakistan,” though he declined to disclose any specifics of the document’s contents.
Status of the US–Israel–Iran Ceasefire and Strait of Hormuz Issues
A cease‑fire among the United States, Israel, and Iran has been in effect since April 8. When announcing the truce, Trump stipulated that it was contingent on Iran reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a vital maritime chokepoint for global oil shipments. Despite the cease‑fire, the strait remains effectively closed; Iran has warned that any commercial vessels attempting to cross will be attacked. In response, the United States has instituted a blockade of Iranian ports, further tightening economic pressure on Tehran while diplomatic efforts continue.
Impact of the Conflict on Trump’s Approval Rating
The protracted confrontation has taken a toll on Trump’s political standing. A New York Times poll released earlier on Monday showed his approval rating dropping to 37 %, a four‑point decline since January. The Times noted that no president’s rating has stayed below 38 % for more than a few days in the past 17 years. Moreover, 64 % of respondents said Trump’s decision to go to war with Iran was wrong, and 65 % disapproved of his handling of the conflict, underscoring growing public skepticism about the administration’s strategy.
Trump’s Continued Push for a Nuclear‑Non‑Proliferation Deal
Despite the mounting criticism, Trump reiterated his belief that Iran is eager to reach an agreement. He told the New York Post that Tehran “wants to make a deal more than ever, because they know we’re — what’s going to be happening soon.” Trump maintained that any viable deal must include a firm guarantee that Iran will not pursue nuclear weapons, framing non‑proliferation as a precondition for negotiations rather than a concession to be bargained away.
Upcoming Situation Room Meeting and Military Options Review
Looking ahead, Trump said he will convene a Situation Room meeting on Tuesday (local time) with his national security advisers to discuss military options. The meeting, reported by Axios, will assess whether the administration should maintain its current posture of restrained engagement or prepare for a renewed strike if diplomatic talks falter. The outcome of that review will likely shape the next phase of U.S. policy toward Iran, balancing the Gulf allies’ plea for patience against the administration’s readiness to use force.

