Three dead in Montreal shooting, including police officer

0
15

Key Takeaways

  • A gunman armed with a long rifle opened fire at a Montreal Hilton hotel on Monday morning, killing a police officer and a civilian.
  • Constable Mohamed Lamine Benredouan, 34, died in the line of duty – the first Montreal police officer killed on duty in 24 years.
  • A second officer was seriously injured but remains in stable condition; the shooter was killed by return fire.
  • Witnesses reported hearing dozens of shots and described the gunman wearing an olive‑coloured jacket and cargo pants, appearing to reload before being subdued.
  • Authorities have ruled out terrorism as a motive, though an RCMP intelligence bulletin warned of possible extremist documentation urging attacks on police.
  • Community leaders and officials urged the public to avoid speculation while investigations continue under an independent police watchdog.

Incident Overview
On Monday morning, a suspect carrying a long gun fired from a window of the Hilton hotel in Montreal’s Côte‑des‑Neiges neighbourhood. The gunfire erupted around 11:35 a.m., prompting an immediate police response. Video footage and eyewitness accounts show the shooter outside the building, exchanging fire with officers who had arrived on the scene. The exchange resulted in multiple casualties, including a police officer and a civilian, before the suspect was neutralized by return fire. The shooting marked a rare act of lethal violence in a city where such incidents are uncommon.

Police Response and Casualties
Montreal Police Chief Fady Dagher confirmed that Constable Mohamed Lamine Benredouan, 34, was fatally shot during the encounter. A second officer sustained serious injuries but was reported to be in stable condition after receiving medical care. Dagher noted that this was the first time in 24 years that a Montreal police officer had been killed while on duty, describing the day as “a very, very sad day” and a “nightmare.” A civilian also died, though investigators have not yet determined whether the shot that killed the civilian came from the suspect or from police cross‑fire.

Witness Accounts
Several nearby residents and workers provided vivid descriptions of the chaos. Jacob Coutu, a construction worker, said he heard “four or five gunshots” initially, followed by a surge of police activity and then “30 or 40 gunshots” as the exchange intensified. Frank Vogas, who was buying paint at a local shop, recounted seeing officers storm in, raise their weapons, and instruct patrons to stay low. Danny Wilk, a Côte‑des‑Neiges resident, described hearing a single shot, then several more, taking shelter in a pizzeria, and observing the shooter in military‑style clothing preparing to fire before seeing the officer fall.

Official Statements
Prime Minister Mark Carney expressed horror at the violence, while Quebec Premier Christine Frechette said she was “deeply shaken” and urged the public to avoid speculation. Chief Dagher emphasized that the shooting was not immediately linked to any known extremist ideology, though he acknowledged the rarity of such an attack on police in Montreal. Quebec’s domestic security minister, Ian Lafrenière, stated that he would refrain from commenting on the suspect’s identity or motives while the case is under investigation by an independent police watchdog, but he confirmed that multiple agencies, including the RCMP, had been consulted.

Investigation and Motive
Investigators have not released a definitive motive for the attack. An RCMP intelligence unit in British Columbia issued a warning to provincial forces about the possible existence of “documentation or some type of manifesto” encouraging violence against police, though no such material has been publicly linked to the shooter. Authorities have ruled out terrorism as a motive, focusing instead on the individual’s personal background and any potential grievances. The independent police watchdog will oversee the investigation to ensure transparency and public confidence in the process.

Community Impact
The shooting occurred in a neighbourhood known for its kosher markets and restaurants, prompting concern among local residents and business owners. While the area was initially locked down, police began to withdraw by mid‑afternoon, allowing traffic to resume. Community leaders called for calm and urged residents to support one another, emphasizing the importance of not jumping to conclusions about the attacker’s intentions. The incident has reignited discussions about police safety and the need for measures to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Broader Context and Reaction
The tragedy underscores the broader challenges faced by law enforcement in Canada, where attacks on officers remain infrequent but deeply impactful when they occur. Messages of condolence poured in from across the country, with officials highlighting the bravery of the officers involved and the loss felt by the police force and the public alike. As the investigation continues, authorities stress the importance of relying on verified information and allowing the investigative process to unfold without unfounded speculation. The event serves as a sobering reminder of the risks inherent in policing and the collective responsibility to support both officers and the communities they serve.

SignUpSignUp form

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here